Monday, February 16, 2009

Another 2 Awards on Garageband for LaGuardia, 3:00 A.M.

Yes, this time it happened something I couldn't imagine: my composition style impressed reviewers as they massively voted LaGuardia, 3:00 A.M. as

Best Programming overall, week of 16Feb2009

and, consequently,

Best Programming in Progressive Rock, week of 16Feb2009

I'm very proud about this fact, there are many keys to analyze it. Many listeners hate the plastic sound: they called "sounding like midi", referring to the fact I used willfully very basic sounds - bordering GM - in that and other songs on Outskirt, but they perceive as bad (or better: not very cool) result; or - worst - that's an error in choosing samples. They didn't get they're not samples, I used just three in whole Outskirt :-D Anyway, somebody punished me remarking the fact it's "programmed". I'm not so dumb I didn't get it. Somebody else, instead, found it's a positive feature in my music.

So seems like people, for instance, believe real bass is a midi score when it's played tightly and with plastic amplification, and can't hear the difference from another song with a VST bass emulator... or they even believe VST bass is a real bass (or the opposite), so they're totally faked. It opens a wide array of opportunities.

But going back in theme, giving an award to programming means that people perceive it as a coherent work; whether they like it or not, music sounds reasonable and having a logic underneath.

This is important as I had a precise feedback on my work's reliability. I don't really aim to be a rockstar, as I know I'm moving in an avantgarde context, despite there are listenable - not mainstream - melodies in many songs of mine, so I got it that my genre is about 0,1% of world's listeners taste. I mean, the best in this area is a Big Badass if he can sell 5000 copies of his record :-D.
No, I point to a very small group of people around the world who share my ideas. And hopefully find into that number some people are making music in total freedom like me, so we can exchange our tracks and experiences.

Let's see what's next.

No comments: